Vaccaro is an award-winning journalist, author and professor from Long Island, as well as a digital media business, operations and development leader.
A former editor at the NY Daily News and Aol, he is currently Director of Live Operations/Editor-in-chief with The Topps Company’s digital team. He manages operations, content, and business development for its full suite of mobile apps, consisting of eight sports and entertainment properties. Vaccaro has a knack for content innovation, partnership development and digital initiatives.
His work has appeared in more than 200 outlets worldwide, including Rolling Stone, ESPN, AP, Sports Illustrated, NY Daily News, Philly Inquirer, Newsday, Toronto Globe, and Fox, among others. Vaccaro has appeared on radio and TV multiple times – ESPN, Howard Stern Show, CBS News, and others – and has covered some of the world’s biggest sporting events including the Olympics, Super Bowl, Stanley Cup final, and Golf U.S. Open, among others.
Vaccaro is also a professor at Hofstra University, the President of the Press Club of Long Island, Associate Director of SPJ Region 1, President/Founder of the Sachem Alumni Association and author of five books about Long Island sports history. In 2017 he was named as the new executive director of the Suffolk County Sports Hall of Fame.
Vaccaro has won a number of media awards. In 2013 he was honored by the Press Club of Long Island with the Phil Spahn Memorial Award, presented to a PCLI member for their service to journalism on Long Island, the club and community. In 2016 he was selected to the Long Island Business News 40-under-40 class, and he was selected to Stony Brook’s 40-under-40 class in 2015 and 2016.
He is a 2014 graduate of SPJ’s Ted Scripps Leadership Institute and attended NYU’s Executive Leadership program in 2016. He graduated from Hofstra with a bachelor’s degree in print journalism and from Stony Brook with a master’s in public policy.
- “Hofstra Athletics” in Arcadia’s Images (Arcadia, 2012)
- “Bellport FB: A Proud Tradition” (Xlibris, 2009)
- “Long Island HS Sports” in Arcadia’s Images (Arcadia, 2009)
- “Sachem HS FB: The History of the Flaming Arrows” (Xlibris, 2008)
- “The Dynasties: LI HS Football” (Xlibris, 2007)
- Got married w/ wife Theresa on 50-yd line at Sachem High, 1st wedding of its kind
- Wedding cake bobblehead appeared on ESPN’s Mike & Mike
- Brought Islanders to Suffolk County radio via WRCN/WRHU
- Appeared in “Fandom”? football documentary & extra in “Crooked Arrows”? a lacrosse film
- Graduate of SPJ’s Scripps Leadership Institute
- Member of selection committee for National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame, Suffolk County Sports Hall of Fame, Long Island Journalism Hall of Fame and Sachem Athletic Hall of Fame